Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Photo of the Day #5: The Maiden Voyage

Near our apartment here in Mexico City is a huge park, complete with two very dirty ponds, a state of the (play)art playground, an aviary and a large statue of Abraham Lincoln (a gift from the American people to the Mexican people). It is a fairly quiet place during the week but is filled with all manner of people on the weekends: prepared food vendors, fruit and vegetable vendors, craftsmen, young guys hawking cell phone and blackberry covers, balloon vendors, people walking their dogs, people walking their kids, young couples with no other place to go making out on every park bench, little kids in motorized cars terrorizing the people walking their dogs and kids, people floating remote-controlled boats in the filthy ponds...the list goes on and on. And while I love the balloons and ask my parents to let me get behind the wheel of one of the motorized cars, the thing that I love the most is watching the boats. In fact, I've been pestering Mama and Dada for one ever since our first day here back in August. Well, apparently they have an in with Papa Noel (that's Santa Claus to those of you North of the Border), because a fully motorized, remote control boat showed up under our Christmas tree this year. It's a good thing that Santa was able to obtain our forwarding address!

And she's off! I really wanted to break a bottle of champagne on her hull but it mysteriously disappeared.

My first mate and I


I think that Joaquin had something to do with the bottle of champagne going missing. He is clearly drunk.

So happy!

Mama and Joaquin enjoying the cruise

No comments: