Sunday, October 28, 2007

Dragon Spotted in Peru

Know, I know what you are thinking: "There are no such things as dragons. They are mythical creatures, the stuff of dreams and J.R.R. Tolkien novels." But believe you me, I am no hobbit (keep all your short jokes to yourself, I'll grow!) and a real live, fire breathing dragon terrorized a function at the U.S. Embassy on Friday. I managed to snap a few pictures of it and am giving you, the reader, a first look before selling the pictures to the AP or, better yet, People magazine. Be forewarned, however, that these pictures are seriously scary. So if you scare easily, you may want to avert your eyes.

First up is a picture of my mommy with the dragon sitting on her lap. Doesn't she know how dangerous they are! Fortunately, I was there to save her.





Next is a picture of my daddy with the dragon. As you can see, he is fending it off with his magic work badge. But boy does that dragon look mean and hungry. It's a good thing that there were no small children or animals around.



Now, it is a little known fact that the only other animal that a dragon gets along with is the giraffe. In fact, giraffes have a calming power over dragons. So, if you are ever being chased by a dragon, make a beeline for the nearest zoo. Here is a picture of Caleb the Giraffe, a.k.a. The Dragon Tamer.




And just so you see how scary the dragon really is in his full glory, I have included this picture of him rearing up on his hind legs.










The scariest part of the whole day (well, for my parents but not for me) was when he followed us home and tried to eat my Tio Nilo (that's our neighbor for those of you not in the know). Despite the fact that he is responsible for the security of Peace Corps volunteers in all of South America and should be immune to dragons, he was terrified.

And finally, I managed to capture the dragon on video. As you will see, Godzilla has nothing on him.







That's all for know, dear reader. Until next time, keep your heads up and be on the lookout for dragons and tigers and bears, oh my!




3 comments:

Linsey said...

Crossing his arms that way seems like a hard way for Carlos to help him walk, but who am I to judge? And seriously, that giraffe is out of control cute - what a winning combo!

Anonymous said...

OH my gosh that is a scary little dragon! We are all very proud of you Sebastian for fending of that ferocious thing. Now over here in Albania I'll have you know that we had a pegasus for the 2nd year running at our embassy event! And a litle Thomas the Train to boot!

Love your Tia Elizabeth

Truman Rules! said...

Hey, i didn't know that connection between dragons and giraffes. So cute! but Carlos, why didn't you reply to Nacho Libre's photos with this? Sebastian is way cuter!